Federal Student Aid

What is Federal Student Aid?

Federal student aid comes from the federal government – specifically, the U.S. Department of Education. It's money that helps a student pay for education expenses at a postsecondary school (e.g., college, vocational school, graduate school).

Federal student aid covers such expenses as tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. The federal student typically comes in the form of:

  • Federal Pell Grant – Grant money that usually doesn't have to be repaid. Most U.S. Department of Education grants are based on the student's financial need. For more information visit StudentAid.gov.
  • Federal Work Study – Work study money is earned by a student through a job on or near campus while attending school and does not have to be repaid. Summit Salon Academy does not participate in the FWS program
  • Federal Student Loans – Loan money is borrowed money from the government that must be repaid with interest. For more information visit StudentAid.gov.

Who Gets Federal Student Aid?

Eligibility requirements for federal student aid include:

  • Financial need
  • Being a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen
  • Remaining in good standing on any federal student loans you have
  • Being in or accepted for an eligible degree or certificate program
  • Maintaining satisfactory academic progress

For more information on eligibility requirements visit StudentAid.gov.

How do I get Federal Student Aid?

Apply for federal student aid

Discover how to apply for Federal Student Aid and other important activities to maximize your eligibility.

Complete Verification

If you are selected by the federal government for verification, you can discover how to navigate the verification process.

Understand Financial Need & Costs

An overview of financial need, the cost of attendance, and the net price calculator to determine how much it may cost you to attend.

How do I receive My Federal Student Aid?

Federal Student Aid Disbursements

A disbursement is a payment to the student, sometimes called a refund.

How do I Keep My Federal Student Aid?

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

How does my academic performance affect my financial aid? Learn more here.

What Happens to my Federal Student Aid if I Withdraw?

Return of Title IV Funds

You may have to pay back the federal government for classes you do not complete. Learn more here.